Saturday, October 11, 2008

Whew! What a weekend!

I'm getting great at this every-other-week thing. I wish I could be like one of those serious bloggers who do this like every day, but I don't have that kind of work ethic. At least not for blogging. Plus, I just don't think I have that much to say.

I would really like to visit Greece. I don't know why that's on my mind today, but it is. It seems like my days of fun and adventure are over... at least they've slowed a considerable bit since college. Ah, to have loads of time and disposable income again... It's tragic, really, the way we're always pining for some part of life that we feel like we're missing out on. Maybe it's just me (although I'd wager money that it's not just me), but it seems a rare occasion to find someone who can't think of one thing they'd rather have or want to do that they can't or don't already. So does this mean we're all just wandering around in malcontent, waiting for magical moments in a vast sea of ordinary-ness?

I for one love magic. Not magic in the "wanna see a card trick" sort of way, but the magic that seems to happen when you least expect it. I can remember this one time when I was in Seattle, I wandered off to the Puget Sound just to gather my thoughts and have a little quiet time with God. It was a wonderful event in and of itself, me and God walking together in the Pacific Northwest. But I didn't see the magic. Not yet, anyway. I had made myself a comfy little home on a rock overlooking a particularly beautiful spot and was practically beside myself with loneliness, pouring my heart out like water before the Lord. And then the magic happened. I dried my eyes long enough to see a whale surface and blow his watery mist into the air. It truly was magic. Beautiful, wonderful, marvelous magic. Of course, there are those other kinds of magic that happen to us... those magical things that we could never plan or calculate on our own. They just sort of seem to happen.

In any event, it seems that I have learned LOTS of new things since the last time I posted a list, so I'll get right to it.

1) The race of a child is always the same as the race of the mother. So if a white woman and a black man have a child, the race of the child will be white. Check Barack Obama's birth certificate. It's true.

2) Auburn football is in a recession. Maybe it's linked to the economy.

3) When John F. Kennedy was elected President, one of his big electing points was that we would go to the moon. He had no idea how to accomplish that task but was determined to do so anyway. I don't happen to be one of those conspiracy theorists, but I'm not entirely convinced that we went to the moon. It seems a bit more likely that we created a great looking, extremely convincing moon in the backlot of Universal Studios. Congrats, though, JFK. Most everyone is proud of your foresight.

4) Joe Biden saw FDR on TV in the 1920's. Now, I know some of you might be thinking, Miss Informed, there was no TV in the 1920's. Still more of you may be thinking, Miss Informed, Joe Biden couldn't have been alive in the 1920's and still be "young" enough to run for VP. Listen folks, it's apparently the American way to believe what politicians tell you. Don't ask me; ask Joe Biden how it's possible. If Obama can visit 57 states, surely Joe Biden can watch a little TV.

5) Spaniards are, I think, the nicest and most hygiene-conscious of all the Europeans.

6) There really is nothing that can replace having great friends. :)

Have a great weekend... and WAR EAGLE (despite the recession)!!

No comments: