Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

Hello Friends!! It's so great to be writing again... even though my thoughts are so scattered that I have no idea what I'm even writing about! I can't believe it's almost 2009...

You know when you're a kid and you always wonder what the future will be like? Even when I graduated from high school, I don't think I could have pictured myself in the year 2009. And here we are, and I'm so far from where I thought I would be. When I was in high school, if you asked me what I would be like in 2009, I would have said that I would be married and practicing law somewhere fabulous. That was the goal -- my purpose in life. Living up to my potential if you will. If you had asked me in college what I would be like in 2009, I probably would have said that I would be married and singing or leading worship somewhere fabulous. Maybe I would have said that I would be working for a big company in DC or New York.

In reality, I will turn 28 in 2009. I am working in litigation, but as a Lit Support Manager... not practicing law like I would have guessed. I still live in Gardendale, but by way of Auburn and DC and Tuscaloosa... not in a big city like I projected. Although, I must say, it's been an interesting ride, and I'm remembering the best and worst of times these days. As I get older, I have begun to see things as they actually are instead of how the should be. I miss people that I never thought I would and I feel differently than maybe I should...

To Paige, Allison, and Megan (as well as Robert, Clay, and Kevin): You guys never cease to amaze me. Nothing ever changes, and when I'm with you guys, it doesn't matter that I'm unmarried with no kids (and, consequently, very little life). Even though I feel so far behind you guys at times, it's always great to have friends who know your past and anticipate your future.

To Emily, Josh, and Jonathan: I seriously don't know if I would have made it out alive if it weren't for you three. I know that y'all sometimes think that I am the glue that connects this awesome foursome, but you guys will never know that it was you who kept me connected in so many ways -- connected to God, connected to my passions, connected to real life. And you gave me a place to belong. I have spent most of my life thus far feeling like I don't really fit in anywhere, but I realize now that you three are my soulmates. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

To the Members of YKK (especially Meredith, Brandon, Nick, Eron, and Van): OMG I have never laughed as hard with anyone else as I have with you. Whether it was playing Battle of the Sexes (Sk...Sk...Skipper!), Trivial Pursuit (The Panama Canal flows THAT way!!), Balderdash (Spraints a Tot!), Hide and Seek (Van, I seriously hope your arm didn't suffer any permanent damage...), or Volleyball, I loved every minute and I know I can count on you when I need it most.

To the Boys Past, Present, and Future: I have been single for almost 28 years, and while that sometimes seems like a curse, it's also a blessing in disguise. I have lived on my own, traveled on my own, and survived on my own for a long time. I have had the opportunity to live independently and have learned how to ask for help when I need it. I am smart; I am successful; I am beautiful. I know it's intimidating for you sometimes. I can be intense. I can argue both sides. I can make you feel as big as the world or as small as nothing in the blink of an eye. But I will also get to tell one of you someday that I've had too much of me and not enough of you. Keep waiting on me. Don't give up. I can't run forever.

It's crazy the clarity that comes with old age. :) So anyway, onto THE LIST!!

1) I love the cheese biscuits from Jim 'N Nick's BBQ. With honey butter, please.

2) Christmas holds less luster than it used to. Maybe it's that pesky No-Santa-Claus thing.

3) Sara Bareilles has a recording of "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay" that I love. She's out of tune in the opening. Fact. Not fiction.

4) Toy commericals really do work on children. My neice saw a commerical for the baby doll that goes to the potty, and all she's been singing for weeks is, "Pee-Pee in the Pot-ty! Pee-Pee in the Pot-ty!" It's annoying. She got the Pee-Pee doll for Christmas to shut her up.

5) I am really jealous of my married (and newly engaged) friends. But when I really stop and think about it, I seriously can't image the feeling of actually wanting to be married. Don't misunderstand me... I want to be married more than anything. I want to share my life with someone. I want to have a family. But that feeling when you go from dating to serious... and then he asks... and then that overwhelming feeling that all engaged girls inevitably get. That feeling that brings tears immediately to your eyes when you realize that you actually want to be with this one person forever. I am jealous of that feeling.

Enough pouring my heart out for one day. Next post promises to be light-hearted. :)

No comments: